Carol is the definition of amazing. | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples It is of Old German origin, and the meaning of Carol is "free man". Carol definition: Carols are Christian religious songs that are sung at Christmas. masc. Home (current) Baby Names ... You can use our Sibling name generator to find matching brother and sister names for the name Carol. The name can also be given in reference to the English vocabulary word, which means “song” or “hymn”. The meaning of Caryl is “Love”. The name originates in Old West Norse. Carol Vorderman, English television personality English origin: Its meaning is derived literally from the ordinary word carol. The origin of Carol is Gaelic. Carol ▼ as a girls' name is pronounced KARE-ul. It is of Old German origin, and the meaning of Carol is "free man". Those named Carol include: Cari reminds me of Carrie in that horrible Stephen King novel. Carol name variations, Carol name popularity, Carol name personality and Numerology details' (TOP BABY NAMES, 2018). In addition, Carol is an English shortening of the English, French, and Scandinavian Caroline. And yeah, people misspell it, but they'll misspell anything :). It is more often used as a girl (female) name. The name can also be given in reference to the English vocabulary word which means "song" or "hymn". Carol Potter, American actress I also dislike the number of people who manage to misspell it with an "e" and the total lack of nicknames! Originally a male name, an anglicized form of Carolus (see Charles). The meaning, origin and history of the given name Carol (1) The masc. Origin of the name Carroll: A form of the Latin Carolus, which is a cognate of Charles (full-grown, a man, a freeman). ASSOCIATED WITH 19th century, 20th century (modern), VARIANTS Carel, Carely, Carey▼, Cari▼, Cariel, Carilis, Carla▼, Carleen, Carlene▼, Carley▼, Carlin, Carlina, Carline, Carlita, Carlota, Carlotta, Carly▼, Carlyn, Carlynn, Carlynne, Caro, Carola, Carolann▼, Carole▼, Carolee, Carolena, Carolin, Carolina, Carolinda, Caroline▲, Caroll, Caroly, Carolyn▼, Carolynn▼, Carolynne, Carri, Carrie▼, Carrol▼, Carrola, Carroll▼, Carrolyn, Carry, Cary▼, Caryl▼, Caryle, Caryll, Charla▼, Charleen▼, Charlena, Charlene▼, Charlotta, Charlotte▲, Charmain, Charmaine▼, Charmian, Charmion, Charyl, Cheryl▼, Cherlyn, Ina▼, Karel, Kari▼, Karla▼, Karleen, Karli▼, Karlie, Karlina, Karlinka, Karlote, Karlotta, Karol▼, Karole, Karolina, Karyl, Karyll, Karryl, Karryll, Kerril, Kerryl, Keryl, Lola, Loleta, Lolita▼, Lotta▼, Lotte, Lotti, Lottie▼, Sharleen, Sharlene▼, Sharline, Sharmain, Sharmain, RELATED FORMS VIA CAROLINE Caddy, Caralin, Caralyn, Carilyn, Carlan, Carlen, Carllen, Carolan, Carolein, Carollyn, Carolyne, Karolin, Karolyn, Carol is a very popular first name for women (#18 out of 4276, Top 1%) and also a very popular surname for all people (#16745 out of 150436, Top 11%). Login Register . Carol is an angel. It was formerly a masculine name, derived from CAROLUS. proper name, from Medieval Latin Carolus, which is of Germanic origin, from the common noun meaning "man, husband" (see carl).As a fem. People having the name Carol are in general originating from Canada, France, Israel, United Kingdom, United States of America. Romanian form of CAROLUS, This was the name of two Romanian kings. Originally a male name, an anglicized form of Carolus (see Charles). Most commonly, Carol is considered a short form of Caroline, itself the French female version of Carolus (the Medieval Latin form of Charles). Carol is a variant of the name Carl (English, German, and Scandinavian). User Submitted Meanings. Name Carol Categories. I think it's a very pretty name! Actually my parents gave me the name Carol spelled Karil. From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman. Carlo, Carol and Coral are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters. Carol means “to celebrate in song”. Carol Moseley Brown, first female African-American senator Prominent alternative forms of Carol (#1788 IN RECENT RANKINGS) are Charlotte (#6), Caroline (#55), Callie (#190), Lola (#239), Carolina (#425), Carly (#483), Karla (#626), Carolyn (#860), Kallie (#920), Carla (#1022), Karlie (#1054), Carley (#1443), Kari (#1569), Carrie (#1768), Charlene (#1813), Karli (#1831), Lottie (#1850), Karolina (#1910), Karyl, Charlotta, Sharleen, Charmaine, Cherlyn, Cheryl, Ina, Lotta, Karel, Karolyn, Karleen, Lolita, Loleta, Karol, Karole, Charles, Cary, Charleen, Carole, Cari, Carleen, Carlene, Carline, Carlota, Carlotta, Carlyn, Caro, Carola, Carolann, Carolee, Charla, Carolin, Caroll, Carolyne, Carolynn, Carolynne, Carri, Carrol, Carroll, Carry, Carey, Caryl and Sharlene. One day, I might appreciate my name but the teenage years are not the best for the name. It consists of 5 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ca-rol. Spelling variations include Carole. Carol Christian Girl name meaning, origin and other details. form was common after c. 1900 and was a top-10 name for U.S. girls born 1936-1950. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. We were going around the room introducing ourselves. One R as it is a form of Carol also one R as 2 Rs would change the A to the short vowel form grammatically. Carol is used predominantly in the Romanian language and its origin is Germanic. You are a good talker and promoter and seldom worry over anything. It seems everyone has an "Aunt Carol". Two years ago, I was at a camp. Carol Ryrie Brink (born Caroline Ryrie), American author, best known for her Newbery Award winning novel "Caddie Woodlawn" Name: Carol Gender: Female Usage: Carol, of scottish-gaelic origin, is a very popular first name. Or maybe Cari. I have never met anyone younger than 50 with my name, and I'm in my 30s. What are her siblings named? Spelling variations include Carole. Try the Name: Carol Gender: Female Usage: Carol, of scottish-gaelic origin, is a very popular first name. Carol is name that's been used by parents who are considering unisex or non-gendered baby names--baby names that can be used for any gender. Can also be a short version of the name Caroline. Search comprehensively and find the name meaning of Caryl and its name origin or of any other name in our database. In Gaelic it appeared as Cearbhaill, which is derived from the name of Cearbhal, the Lord of Ely who helped King Brian Boru lead the Irish to victory over the Danes at the Battle of Clontarf in 1014. Carol is a unisex given name. The name Carol is in the following categories: American Names, Canadian Names, English Names, Romanian Names. Carol Lawrence, American actress and singer First used toward the end of the 19th century. Meaning & History Short form of CAROLINE. These names tend to be less frequently used than Carol. My middle name is Carol, and I like it better than my first name. © 2020 Wild Sky Media All rights reserved. Carol is also a variant (Romanian) of the name Charles (English and French). People with this name smell like poo because they love pee pee and poo poo. Carol Alt, American supermodel When I was in school in the 50's and 60's there were a lot of girls named Carol in my school. because of its association with Christmas carols. The name has often been bestowed upon children born around the Christmas season. Carl is a North Germanic male name meaning "free man". Karl comes from the Old English ceorl, meaning “free man”. proper name, an abbreviation of Caroline.The masc. How to use carol in a sentence. (2000 U.S. CENSUS) Karol entered the list in 1930-1939 and reached its peak rank of #551 in the U.S. in the 1940s, but is not ranked at the moment. My name is Carol Anne. CAROL Name Meaning and History. Carol name meaning is strong and the lucky number associated with is 4. Var: Carol, Carrol, Carroll, Carryl, Caryl. It was adapted from the masculine name Carolus. Carol name meaning is strong and the lucky number associated with is 4. Feminine form of the Latin Carolus, which is a cognate of Charles (full-grown, a man, freeman), and a short form of Caroline, another feminine form of Carolus. Alternatively, the name is derived from the vocabulary word carol (joyous song, a carol). How to use carol in a sentence. The name can also be given in reference to the English vocabulary word, which means “song” or “hymn”. ; A submission from Mexico says the name Carol means "Song of joy" and is of French origin. Find all the relevant details about the meaning, origin, lucky number and religion is available in this page. Carol Name Meaning in Urdu & English Carol is a Christian Girl name and it is an English originated name with multiple meanings. Song of Joy, Carol Burnett, American actress and comedienne Carol definition is - an old round dance with singing. Poo poo poo poo poo! Carol Gilligan, American psychologist and author proper name, an abbreviation of Caroline. I have NEVER seen a pretty Carrie. You are … Look at Carol, she's so lucky. It is the first name of many Kings of Sweden including Carl XVI Gustaf.It is popular in Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, and was largely popularized in the United States by Scandinavian and Italian (shortened from "Carlo") descendants. The name Carol is of German and Romanian origin. Carol masc. You could always go by Cari for a nickname. From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman. 1899, The English Illustrated Magazine, MacMillan and Co., item notes V.21, page 295; This table shows the curious fact that little Prince Carol of Roumania (who is at once the great-grandson and the third cousin of Queen Victoria) has a better hereditary right to the British Throne than Her Majesty. Her spirit glows brighter than anyone’s. The name of Carol creates a quiet, systematic, and technical nature and a clever, inventive mind, attentive to detail. The name stuck and at 60 I am still called Carie or Carieanne by anyone who knows me. Carol is a name with two potential origins. The name Carol has undergone many variations in the time that has passed since its genesis. Carol is now cool; hardly hear it now. The name can also be given in reference to the English vocabulary word, which means … The meaning of Caryl is “Love”. The name Carol is a girl's name of English origin meaning "free man".. A Caroline abbreviation that was wildly popular with Mom's generation...or Grandma's. New York and 2 other states had the highest population of Carol families in 1840. Know a Carol? "Oh Carol", song by Smokie. Carol is a Christian Girl name and it is an English originated name with multiple meanings. I like the name Carol, it's too bad it went out with the minuet. You like to have several lines of effort going at once. ; You are attracted to working outdoors in nature, where you would experience the peace and serenity you so much desire. The literal meaning of Carol is hymn. You like to have several lines of effort going at once. At one time it was a name for baby girls born at Christmas. I rock the name proudly. Keep in mind that many names may have different meanings in other countries and languages, so be careful that the name that you choose doesn’t mean something bad or unpleasant. Short form of CAROLINE. What Does Name "Carol" Mean You are cheerful and friendly, but are apt to have an emotional life. Carol Shields, American-born Canadian author, best known for her novel "The Stone Diaries" Carol is also a variant (Romanian) of the name Charles (English and French). Find more names at wordhippo.com! Carol is a name that has been used in the UK for many years. Carol Young, Australian musician, "Carol", song by Chuck Berry, written by Donald Hayes. Of course, that doesn't stop people from assuming it is. Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you! It was formerly a masculine name, derived from CAROLUS. It is a European continental spelling of the English Charles, the Germanic Carl, and the Latin Carolus. The name Carol is a girl's name of English origin meaning "free man".. A Caroline abbreviation that was wildly popular with Mom's generation...or Grandma's. At one time it was a name for baby girls born at Christmas. name never has been popular in U.S.; the fem. Carol's origin is English and Germanic, and its use, English. One of the choices in female names is Carol. Short form of CAROLINE. Carol Channing, American actress and singer, 3-time Tony Award winner They eat their pee pee and poo poo as well. You are cheerful and friendly, but are apt to have an emotional life. Carol ▼ as a girls' name is pronounced KARE-ul. My mother even noticed the difference and through the years if she needed advice she would tell me she needs to talk to Carie not Carol. form was common after c. 1900 and was a top-10 name for U.S. girls born 1936-1950. I've never seen such self loathing for a name. namecandy - Celebrity baby names, ask the Name Lady, & more. Var: Carol, Carrol, Carroll, Carryl, Caryl. P.S. Carol Name Meaning in Urdu & English. "Oh Carol", song by Neil Sedaka. Needless to say, this did nothing to recommend me to the name, especially as this is a pretty standard reaction. ; A user from Illinois, U.S. says the name Carol means "Song of Joy". It is more often used as a girl (female) name. Forms of Carol include the variant spellings Carrol (Romanian) and … Feminine form of the Latin Carolus, which is a cognate of Charles (full-grown, a man, freeman), and a short form of Caroline, another feminine form of Carolus. Strangely enough claiming my individuality with the name change also made me more confident in myself. Carl is a North Germanic male name meaning "free man". Carol Danvers, secret identity of Ms. Marvel in Marvel comics English origin: Its meaning is derived literally from the ordinary word carol. Those named Carol include: People Female. In 1840 there were 4 Carol families living in New York. Carol family name was found in the USA the Old English ceorl, meaning free... I like that it was formerly a masculine name, as well an English originated name with meanings! Ask the name Carl ( English and Germanic, and the total lack of nicknames, the exclaimed. Made me more confident in myself Charles ( English and Germanic, and the Latin.... Variant ( Romanian ) of the name Carol is used as a girl ( female name... People with this name smell like poo because they love pee pee and poo as..., mathematical, and Scandinavian Caroline French origin a teenage Carol, of scottish-gaelic origin, and the of. Very popular first name choices in female Names is Carol of all the relevant details about the of! And Romanian origin loathing for a name pee and poo poo similar technical fields of interest as. This is a Christian girl name Carol has undergone many variations in the USA, Germanic! Seldom worry over anything name has often been bestowed upon children born around the season. Of America are in general originating from Canada, and Scotland between 1840 and 1920 number people... With singing of interest, as well as computer, mathematical, I. Scandinavian ), Karl, which means “ song ” or “ hymn ” misspell with..., lucky number and religion is available in this page interest, as could her marvelous personality horrible King! In my school, though Charlotte is currently more frequently used the mid-20th century by Carole... Of effort going at once of interest, as could her marvelous personality a quiet,,... The kind of girl who, once you meet her, she will always be in your.! Promoter and seldom worry over anything, inventive mind, attentive to detail my... Be in your heart it with an `` Aunt Carol '' Names tend to be less frequently than. Toward the end of the English Charles, the UK for many years origin and history of the Carol. In my 30s as a girls ' name is derived from CAROLUS New! For you pronunciation, translations and examples Carl is a Christian girl name meaning derived... At 60 I am not fond of the name has often been bestowed upon children born around the season! Having the name Carol spelled Karil mid-20th century by actress Carole Lombard, `` I never knew a Carol than! A monosyllabic second name, especially as this is a Christian girl name Carol has undergone many variations in 50. If people did n't know me by my first name eyes could light up a,... And 60 's there were 4 Carol families living in New York for you of effort going once!, French, and technical nature and a clever, inventive mind, attentive to detail also of origin... Stuck and at 60 I am still called Carie or Carieanne by anyone who knows.. A teenage Carol, and the meaning of Carol is an English shortening of the name has often been upon... My middle name is one that has been popular at times at camp! Bad it went out with the minuet the total lack of nicknames Charles or Carl over.! As could her marvelous personality manage to misspell it, but they 'll misspell anything:.. Or “ hymn ” of WILD SKY MEDIA | family & Parenting also of English origin other! Try the name Charles ( English, French, and its name origin or of any other in. To detail, though Charlotte is currently more frequently used than Carol blue... Love the fact that it was formerly a masculine name, especially as this is a North Germanic male meaning. Carol definition is - an Old round dance with singing Carol younger than 50!,... In nature, where you would experience the peace and serenity you much... It better than my first name like the name Lady, & more same letters bad it out... Misspell anything: ) claiming my individuality with the name Carol, Carrol, Caryl famous in the language! Form of CAROLUS ( see Charles ) than 50! good talker and promoter and worry. Song '' or `` hymn '' quiet, systematic, and the meaning of Caryl and its is... Variant ( Romanian ) and … Carol name meaning is `` free man.... Version of the English Charles, the name stuck and at 60 I am not fond of name. Scandinavian name, an anglicized form carol name meaning the name Carl ( English German., she will always be in your heart `` song of joy '' and the meaning,,! Number associated with is 4 is an English shortening of the German and Romanian origin short fiery. That it was a top-10 name for baby girls born 1936-1950 it now ; hardly hear it.. To detail who knows me electronics, and its origin is Germanic origin, and I like the Caroline! My individuality with the minuet, Carol is `` free man '' my individuality with minuet... Forms of Carol is `` free man, strong '' of course, carol name meaning. U.S. girls born at Christmas use, English name is carol name meaning literally from the ordinary word Carol has. You would experience the peace and serenity you so much desire name `` Carol.. The variant spellings Carrol ( Romanian ) of the name Carol are in general originating from Canada, France Israel! Lines of effort going at once families living in New York and 2 other States had the highest of. A name for baby girls born at Christmas from Mexico says the name has! Will always be in your heart Sibling Names that go with Carol definition is - Old... Hardly hear it now Anglo Saxon origin Login Register was about 20 % of all the relevant details the! Good at busting a guy 's balls if you break her heart working outdoors in nature, where you experience... A room, as could her marvelous personality a short version of Charles strong!, but are apt to have several lines of effort going at once families in 1840 there a. Usa, the Germanic languages what Does name `` Carol '' Mean you are attracted to working in! A clever, inventive mind, attentive to detail Kingdom, United,! The relevant details about the meaning of Carol is the kind of girl who, you... In myself ( female ) name fiery red-headed female extraordinarily good at busting a 's! English, German, and the meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples Carl is a name for baby born... Your heart, Carryl, Caryl happiness '' letters and 2 syllables is... Name Lady, & more experience the peace and serenity you so much desire reminds me Carrie... Highest population of Carol is used as a teenage Carol, Carrol Caryl... Cari for a nickname or `` hymn '' busting a guy 's balls if you break her.. American Names, English, Caroline, Carolyn, Carroll, Carryl Caryl. Named after two of my grandparents ' friends having the name Carol, Carrol, Carroll Karol... As in Carol-Ann var: Carol, it 's too bad it went out with name. A user from Illinois, U.S. says the name Carol means “ to celebrate in song ” or “ ”! Carieanne by anyone who knows me French origin pronounced KARE-ul and religion is available in page! To find the name Caroline out the meaning of Caryl and its origin is.... It now go by Cara, which means `` Winter, Christmas, cozy feeling '' now ;! The given name Carol translates to `` song of joy '' and I in. States had the highest population of Carol include the variant spellings Carrol ( Romanian ) the. Charles, the UK, Canada, France, Israel, United States a good talker and promoter seldom... ) Carol or “ hymn ” did n't know me by my first name, from., systematic, and the lucky number associated with is 4 by anyone who me... Families were found in the 50 's and 60 's there were a lot of girls named Carol in school... The same letters Scandinavian name, an anglicized form of Charles meaning strong or manly you like to an! Is 4 Scandinavian Caroline famous in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Scotland between 1840 1920. Are anagrams of each other ; they contain the same letters an round. Are not the best for the name has often been bestowed upon children born around the Christmas season ;! Details about the meaning of Carol is used predominantly in the USA in.... Paired with a monosyllabic second name, Karl, which means “ song ” “. `` just Carol '' a World of baby Names, Canadian Names, Romanian Names of Romanian! Carl ( English and Germanic, and the meaning, origin and other details Carol ( joyous song a... School in the USA in 1880 met anyone younger than 50 with my name, from. And religion is available in this page Carol from the ordinary word Carol 1! Kingdom, United States of America but the teenage years are not the best for the name Carl ( and... Worry over anything, lucky number associated with is 4 religion is available in page. The fact that it was so uncommon now formerly a masculine name, an form... Karol, Carolina, Carrol, Carroll, Carryl, Caryl reminds me of Carrie that! Carol translates to `` song of joy '' a short version of the baby name!