By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. A stronger and more stable back is welcome news for anyone who has ever experienced back pain. Editor’s note: This article is an op-ed. Deadlifts are not solely for the back. Deadlifts pre-fatigue you from getting a maximal stimulus from better exercises. Could you recommend an alternative that I could do at home that is more effective? To people here, squats aren't underrated at all, we all know how awesome they are. Bench press is so fucking hard to build and I can think of a … The first was “What I learned to squat 500 pounds.” I’m planning on doing one installment for each 100-pound increment for squat and deadlift starting at 500, and each 50-pound increment on bench starting at 350. Those of you who know me in pretty much any other arena of my life, will not be surprised by this little rant. Related: 30 Days of Deadlifts – 1-10 Related: 11 Damn Good Deadlift Tips. Ive only ever benefited from doing machine flyes. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you're squatting right, it's not necessary. But most magazines, media, and lousy trainers never have their clients squatting, so to them it is wayyy underrated. No deficit deadlifts, speed deadlifts, rack pulls, good mornings, bent-over rows, hip thrusts, or progressive resistance like bands or chains. The movement is performed in a similar fashion to a conventional deadlift off the floor, except the hips will either start in a lower position or a higher position depending on the lifter. How the Romanian deadlift benefits your lower back. Tony Gentilcore is a well-sought after strength coach, writer, and presenter. I would hit them on a flat bench and then go to incline. This will almost be completely anecbrotal but what do you guys think are the most overrated exercises for bodybuilders, no flaming. Ive seen the best back and trap development doing rack pulls and shrugs. The Romanian deadlift is also an excellent exercise for your mid to lower back. A few days ago, a fellow Health & Physical Education major at Adelphi sent me a video from the YouTube channel "TwinMuscleWorkout", which as you can guess from the title is hosted by two muscular twins who workout. News, articles, personal pictures, videos & advice on everything related to bodybuilding - nutrition, supplementation, training, contest preparation, and more. So without further ado, here’s some fucking Reddit comments: ... “TIL an average silver back can deadlift 1800 lb and their grip can crush a crocodile’s skull ... Cyberpunk 2077 Character Creator Lets You Choose Which Movies Your Avatar Thinks are Overrated. Deadlift is a compound exercise using almost all your muscles, all over, from head to toe to start & complete the lift. I don't know why people on the internet are so fanatical about it. Problem would be to many are willing to sacrifice form for total weight. They may not be for you but they shouldn't be overlooked. #9 Less stress on knees. I think most people on the internet aren't pure bodybuilders, and probably care about strength as well. I would even choose OHP over flat bench press if I could only choose one. Others might ask about their deadlift since it uses so many muscles in the human body anyway, it could arguably tell you more. Machine leg press. The most commonly used example of this would be deficit deadlifts. Your article is pathetic. I see people who load four to five 45 pound weights on each side, do 3 reps and leave. Just use the style that feels best to you. A few days ago, a fellow Health & Physical Education major at Adelphi sent me a video from the YouTube channel "TwinMuscleWorkout", which as you can guess from the title is hosted by two muscular twins who workout. 2) Deadlift: I don’t see his point… In my eyes the deadlift is the safest total strength lift for most people. Now let’s take a look at some better alternatives to the deadlift if your goal is to maximize muscle growth. Motivation is overrated! Your goal should be to maximise the effectiveness of your workout sessions and to minimise the risk of injury in the process; the following are some of the exercises you should probably avoid doing. Last week one of the readers of this blog emailed me and couldn’t believe what he had just heard. It forces me to keep my pelvis level and use both legs equally, otherwise I fall off! Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new ... but they sure as hell aren’t overrated. I still think the deadlift is way easier to learn for people than the squat and needs less instruction? provide reasoning for why you dont think it works the most well. A hybrid of Powerlifting, and Bodybuilding. The deadlift is one of the most fundamental exercises you can include in any strength program, but is it killing your gains? Problem would be to many are willing to sacrifice form for total weight. 2) Deadlift: I don’t see his point… In my eyes the deadlift is the safest total strength lift for most people. However, it's my opinion that the deadlift is overrated as a muscle builder, overrated for increasing athletic performance, and even overrated for building maximal strength. Simce 99% of the people do the wrong with to much weight I can't agree more . Last week one of the readers of this blog emailed me and couldn’t believe what he had just heard. As a fun point of interest, I have … I still think the deadlift is way easier to learn for people than the squat and needs less instruction? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the bodybuilding community. However, if you're trying to increase lower body size, squats seem to be superior. Look strong, be strong. The deadlift is an exercise that requires to literally lift a dead weight off the floor. I gotta agree, for bodybuilding, deadlifts are way overrated. Don't know why people are getting downvoted for valid OPINIONS on this thread... :/, People have stupid attachments to specific exercises. It has been around for ages, performed by bodybuilders, powerlifters and many known athletes to improve their athletic abilities as well as their performance and gain a good amount of strength and size. Personally, I've gotten good results with using low-rep deadlifts to build strength and higher-rep squats to build muscle. Posterior chain includes all muscle responsible for greater hip mobility. His best deadlift was over 600 when he was younger. They work the entire core/body. No deficit deadlifts, speed deadlifts, rack pulls, good mornings, bent-over rows, hip thrusts, or progressive resistance like bands or chains. I have a very high bench for my weight and a pretty decent deadlift and I spent a lot of time on these lifts, but I’m starting to think their overrated. @Steve Freides, I would agree the deadlift or some other high load hinge movement is a must. That is me (in the picture), doing deadlift training (6 years) and perhaps it makes me very qualified to answer this question. The deadlift, tire flip, leg press, leg extension and weighted plank have been branded by some trainers as over-rated, but as a former personal trainer and lifelong fitness enthusiast, I say that we should remove these strength training moves from that list. So, at least in the lower body, hip extension is the primary limiting factor. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Deficit deadlifts can be performed on a platform ranging anywhere from 1-4 inches. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. I also do one-legged deadlifts and split squats and I should work on the pistol squats… they look impossible though… Here comes some tough love. It's an often overlooked fact that deadlifts are useful for more than just aesthetics. The hip extension demands are the same as the conventional deadlift. I do not put the snatch in the same category. For strength, I've found the deadlift to be the single most useful exercise I perform. That squeeze at the end really helps the pump. It is overrated as you correctly stated. For me, the big three are now the big four: bench, squat, deadlift, and hip thrust. The first was “What I learned to squat 500 pounds.” I’m planning on doing one installment for each 100-pound increment for squat and deadlift starting at 500, and each 50-pound increment on bench starting at 350. DB Chest Flies. Deadlifts aren't very good if they aren't done right. The Romanian deadlift will help you build strength and stability for your mid to lower back muscles. Other things can limit the deadlift, such as grip and the ability to extend the back again once it goes into flexion, but from the waist down, it’s your ability to produce enough hip extension torque – getting enough juice from your hammies and glutes – that’s the make-or-break factor. “Deadlifts Are One of the Worst Things You Can Do For Your Spine” Share This: Yep you heard it here first – according to a local exercise physiology TA: Deadlifts are one of the worst things you can do for your spine. I saw a lot of chest growth from putting them into my training three times a week and going heavy for two of those days. Also, those reddit phags say to stick with SS until you stop seeing strength gains. Ive seen the best back and trap development doing rack pulls and shrugs. My husband is Jim Warner and he is 63 and is a natural competitive powerlifting still breaking world records in the 148 pound weight class with deadlifts and squats over 400 and 500 pounds. Deadlift is a compound exercise using almost all your muscles, all over, from head to toe to start & complete the lift. Without a doubt, flat bench barbell press. Every other chest exercise I do hits my tris better than my chest. 7. I know they are a very popular exercise, but, despite at least 20-30 weeks of regular implementation over the last 3 years, I have yet to really see any good gains from them. I don't know why some of the members here act like they are so necessary. Obviously, there are benefits to doing more than just one lift, but we know that the snatch usually maintains or improves swings, deadlifts, pull ups, and even military presses. They work back,legs,abs,arms and just about everything else. At my gym, I see guys with great backs and they do no deadlifts. I … Her teddies are big, yes, but that's the MAIN reason she is so overrated: her giant teddies cover her other flaws, such as her flat ass. Don't believe me on that last one? How the Romanian deadlift benefits your lower back. Anyone else think deadlifts and bench press are over rated. Westside Barbell rarely trains the deadlift from the floor, yet they have plenty of guys deadlifting big weights in competition. This will almost be completely anecbrotal but what do you guys think are the most overrated exercises for bodybuilders, no flaming. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Fuk dat chit. A lot of people who lift heavy and are trying to get big are often the ones who failed at sports when they were younger or got bullied/teased and feel the need to look intimidating to others. Press J to jump to the feed. “Deadlifts Are One of the Worst Things You Can Do For Your Spine” Share This: Yep you heard it here first – according to a local exercise physiology TA: Deadlifts are one of the worst things you can do for your spine. Powerbuilding. So, at least in the lower body, hip extension is the primary limiting factor. It depends who we are talking about. A deadlift is good for a bodybuilder when performed at a moderate weight with several reps. I’ve been lifting for a while. A stronger and more stable back is welcome news for anyone who has ever experienced back pain. Either way, though, I truly believe it’s time to knock the bench press down a peg or two. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Ok, y’all, buckle-up. The Romanian deadlift is also an excellent exercise for your mid to lower back. Deadlifts are really awesome for your posterior chain when done correctly. Perhaps its just me but I just dont benefit very much from them. She claims they are natty, and Kate Upton is the most overrated model of the 21st century (SRS)(pics) - Bodybuilding.com Forums I say once you can bench around 180, deadlift and squat 2 plates u should move onto a split for aesthetics. As a fun point of interest, I have a twin brother, but we are seldom assumed to… You just need to keep your ego in check. Romanian Deadlift has proven to have great benefits on the posterior chain. More posts from the powerbuilding community. Agreed. This is installment 2 in a (currently) 8-part series. That was in 2013 and my deadlift at the time was 350lbs, or 1.8-times my bodyweight. Some of the more commonly used exercises are overrated and aren’t really benefiting you. Crossfit is taking over the world… well, the fitness world, at least. It’s not that it’s a bad movement by any stretch of the imagination. Those of you who only know me within the scope of my life as a yoga teacher, might not like this side of me too much. Can you start to see now why deadlifts are overrated for muscle growth? Romanian Deadlift helps in declining the amount of pressure on your knees. I think the trap bar is severely overrated and largely employed by people looking for an excuse not to deadlift and have to deadlift properly. 09-08-2004, 10:48 AM #6. hyp3r3xt3nsion. If my deadlift improved, it’d be through practicing the skill, not a drill. I can and still do the full version of the snatch and CJ in my training as well as including heavy squats and deadlifts, kettle bells, gymnastics, wrestling, bjj and other strength, speed, mobility, power and coordination movements. 7. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) ... but they sure as hell aren’t overrated. Its hard to get that with dumbells. I think the deadlift is overrated. No one in my family has done them for years and they are not lacking any size, especially on their backs. If my deadlift improved, it’d be through practicing the skill, not a drill. Good for powerlifting, not bodybuilding. This is installment 2 in a (currently) 8-part series. He has been lifting since he was a teenager. Other things can limit the deadlift, such as grip and the ability to extend the back again once it goes into flexion, but from the waist down, it’s your ability to produce enough hip extension torque – getting enough juice from your hammies and glutes – that’s the make-or-break factor. @ Anna C, Overall it IS a good fit for how I train...sometimes. It is a good exercise, but it is so overrated. You just need to … ... Fast forward to 2019 and Starting Strength is repudiated by most in the lifting community, even on Reddit. Taken from JRE #1321 w/Robert Oberst:https://youtu.be/pTZm0Y_G78M His benches are over 200. The Romanian deadlift will help you build strength and stability for your mid to lower back muscles. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. Doesn’t sound ideal by a long shot. provide reasoning for why you dont think it works the most well.