How do I install a floating floor around this area ? I just had to pull up a few tiles I front of the sink for a new cabinet and didn't see any signs of water getting under the tiles. Once that’s done, you should measure your floor to figure out many vinyl planks you need to use. Q: I want to replace the carpeted areas in my house with hardwood floors to include the stairs. Undercutting the bottom stair is the best way to do this. Can I use flooring on the stairs, with matching stair nose pieces? I appears the gravel does not extend beyond the surface of the wall (maybe a fraction in some places). Because asbestos can be hazardous when it’s disturbed, it’s better to cover old vinyl floors with a layer of underlayment than to tear them out. How to Install Vinyl Flooring. Cali Bamboo is providing the materials for this Pro-Follow for free; however, the opinions we express here are our own. In either case the spindles have to … In the next couple of days i plan on installing a floating vinyl plank floor in my basement which is a concrete slab. The new vinyl flooring can be cut to that edge and baseboard will cover the edge. I put in Forna engineered cork flooring (from Cancork) 5 years ago in my kitchen. Have several issues with the install but I don’t know if I’m expecting too much. 14. Many old vinyl floors and the adhesive used to install them contain asbestos. If you cut to fit around each spindle and glue down does this result in a nicer finish. Consider the look you want for your stairs and the installation process that will be easiest for you when deciding on a type of vinyl flooring. Good evening. Thank you so much for following us at One Project Closer for our most recent pro follow - how to install floating vinyl flooring. I would prefer not replacing the stairs at what I estimate would be around $100+ per tread/riser. Self-stick vinyl floor tiles are a great flooring option because they are durable, affordable, easy to install, and available in a variety of styles and colors. Spread vinyl-flooring adhesive around the perimeter of the room with a 1/16-inch V-notch trowel. For a door frame make a series a cuts in the same way but when trimming the excess leave 50 - 100mm sticking up for accurate trimming. If the floor is installed flush with the wall there is no room for growth in the hot months and the loose-lay floor can easily buckle. How To Install Vinyl Plank Flooring How To Install Vinyl Plank Flooring The How To Install Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring The Family Handyman READ Do All Laminate Floors Cause Cancer. Plus, vinyl plank flooring is typically a fraction of the cost for materials, and some varieties cut out labor costs all together with DIY-friendly, click-and-lock installation. And do I need a vapor barrier ? First time trying to install Vinyl Plank to redo the floors in my bathroom, but have a couple questions. (i.e. Vinyl flooring is sold in 6-foot and 12-foot widths, making it possible to install a seamless floor in smaller rooms such as bathrooms, halls and kitchens. The bulkiness and weight of the sheet roll combined with the challenge of cutting it perfectly to size, can make installing vinyl flooring more difficult than you might think. Make a crease in the vinyl by pressing it into the angle between the door frame and the floor and cut along the crease. Remember, we’ll always be up-front with you when we’re receiving a free product, compensation, or both. 6 Installing Click Lock Vinyl Plank Flooring Trim the short tongue edge from the first vinyl plank. First, you need to remove the damaged spindle. Lay the first plank, appropriately spaced from the wall. Using a jamb saw that I use for undercutting doorjambs works good for this. However, some of the higher quality vinyl floors are stiffer, so they’re available only in 6-ft. or 6-ft. 4-in. 5' x 5', has tub shower against one wall, 1 toilet, 24" cabinet, and current flooring looks like vinyl roll/linoleum. When installing a post on a concrete patio or wood deck, you will need a post mount. Description: Bathroom is approx. It’s true: The banister spindles on your old stair rail weren’t installed with the notion that they would someday need to be replaced, but don’t be intimidated—they can be, even if the spindles are trapped in holes at the top and bottom. If you don't have all the tools or you want to be 100% sure you don't waste any material, invite a friend over to help you. Do you dare install vinyl flooring in your home? Photo 4: Loose-lay the tile. Can I install hardwood flooring on stairs, with matching stair nose pieces? Stiffer vinyl is more difficult to install than more flexible vinyl and you’ll have to make more seams. base molding around each spindle or just color match caulk to flooring). Each kind could have different tongues and groves, while some don't. Cancork supplied the planks I bought. Bolt the post mount on to concrete or wood, and then place a vinyl post sleeve over the mount. 13. Vinyl flooring naturally expands and contracts in the heat and cold. As all basements slab it is not truly flat, has some wave and bumps (i am trying to smooth out with some patch filler) and will never be flat and level since there is also a floor drain (3") in one portion of the basement. Just had Adura Max floating vinyl plank professionally installed over concrete last week. With the right preparation and adhesive, learning how to install vinyl flooring can be installed over almost any clean, dry surface. My main concern is the install around a 15 ft. Fireplace hearth that is 18” high. A scribe tool looks like a compass with a small metal arm and a pencil. Before you install your vinyl flooring, you need to make sure you're considering some essential things. It has 1/4 in rubber backing and has worked well in our kitchen for over 3 years. However, if you are an advanced DIYer who's up for a challenge, or you already know how to install vinyl flooring, you may feel confident taking on the installation yourself. Or do I have to glue it ? Hello. To install vinyl plank flooring on concrete, you’ll first need to clean the concrete with soap and water and fill in any cracks with concrete filler. Type of Vinyl Vinyl comes in planks, tiles and sheets, and each of these floorings has a different installation process. Put adhesive on the floor around the fitting and press the vinyl hard into place. The steps in this guide on how to install vinyl plank flooring on concrete are quite easy to follow. Vinyl flooring is a great way to change the appearance of a room without spending too much money. The difference is the metal arm on the scribe tool is flat, while a compass has a sharp, pointed arm. Gluing down the VCT floor tile. I am leaning toward option #1 based on desire to get finished before Thanksgiving and the thought that at a later time if desired I could simply remove t-molding and proceed to install laminate around spindles. Most people may not encounter this, but when you do its best to know how to make it look good. I bought a Lifeproof Vinyl Plank Flooring that is supposed to be waterproof and has the underlayment already pre-attached. Prepare the subfloor and measure out all the walls to know where to start. Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator. 12. FAQ Installing Laminate Around Curved Staircase. Loose-lay tile to check the size of cut pieces. I chose the interlocking planks because I could not find anyone to install the tiles in the area where I live. How to Install Vinyl Plank Flooring as a Beginner!See my flooring install playlist: http://bit.ly/2uFkWp6Thanks to FilterBuy.com for sponsoring this video! If you plan to install it over concrete, check for excess moisture by gluing down a 3 x 3-ft. piece of vinyl flooring and taping the edges. After 72 hours, try to pull up the vinyl. 2. Tiles around the toilet and most other obstacles you may encounter when laying vinyl floors. Stop the floor between a quarter inch and a half inch shy of the wall to allow for this natural expansion. There are two ways to measure and fit vinyl. widths for easier installation. How To Install Vinyl Plank Flooring Around Toilet 30 Amazing Installing Luxury Vinyl Plank In A Bathroom B Darlington READ 2007 Keystone Raptor Floor Plans. Allow the new vinyl floor to acclimate to the room by leaving it in the room where it'll be installed for at least 24 hours before cutting. When figuring out how to install vinyl flooring planks around an unusual shape, trace the shape onto a piece of paper, then use the paper as a stencil when cutting the vinyl plank to fit. kris14, Dec 24, 2018 #1. How to Trim Laminate Flooring Around a Fireplace By Wade Shaddy ... or install subsequent pieces to complete the row. Here are the step-by-step instructions for installing … Learn how to install vinyl flooring with these easy steps. Then you install a proper stair nosing, nailed and glued in place and fill in the rest, up to the next riser with flooring. Some vinyl railing installations need a 4-by-4 pressure treated post with a vinyl post sleeve placed over top.. Traditional vinyl has a few things going for it (cheap, easy to install), but everything else going against it. Vinyl plank floors are a modern miracle that provide homeowners the luxurious look and longevity of hardwood floors without the warping, water damage, staining or scratching involved with their natural counterpart. If you see gaps where the laminate meets the fireplace, it might require the use of a scribe tool. Then do the riser, or use veneer on the riser, then go to the next tread and so on. Before getting started with installing your vinyl plank flooring on any of the walls in your home, it is crucial to ensure that the surface it will be installed on is clean, dry and smooth. Then, use a level to find any spots where the ground is uneven and apply concrete self-leveling compound to even it out. It was sold as a possible DIY, but I had a remodeler do it anyway. Or you could opt to install slabs instead. This will enable the planks to be installed as quickly and efficiently as possible. Ways to Prevent Vinyl Plank Buckling. Set the vinyl flooring down onto the underlayment, making sure you firmly press it down into the adhesive. Also, it is important to take time and prepare well before you start assembling. However, sheet flooring may be ideal if you need to wrap the vinyl around the edge of the stairs. If you want to get top-quality brushes for toilet bowl then you can read this article for more details. The flooring is A vinyl click lock that Costco sold about 4 years ago. How to Install Vinyl Flooring That Looks Like Slate Installing vinyl flooring is a great way to give a kitchen a more modern look. A mainstay of bargain-remodel kitchens and bathrooms, vinyl flooring has long been considered a pariah in any self-respecting home. Install a vinyl, felt-paper or polyethylene moisture barrier on the subfloor, cutting the material with a utility knife to fit round the feet of the radiator. That I use for undercutting doorjambs works good for this Pro-Follow for free ; however, sheet flooring may ideal... Groves, while some do n't caulk to flooring ) tile to check size... Be waterproof and has the underlayment, making sure you firmly press down... Down onto the underlayment already pre-attached might require the use of a tool... Has 1/4 in rubber backing and has the underlayment already pre-attached for it ( cheap, easy follow. You do its best to know how to install them contain asbestos but... Should measure your floor to figure out many vinyl planks you need to remove the damaged spindle things. Any clean, dry surface a quarter inch and a half inch shy of the.. And prepare well before you start assembling but have a couple questions install than more flexible vinyl and ’... Make a crease in the heat and cold a different installation process it good... Ago in my bathroom, but I had a remodeler do it anyway size of cut pieces wrap! Wade Shaddy... or install subsequent pieces to complete the row Installing Click Lock that Costco about... The new vinyl flooring in your home scribe tool stiffer vinyl is more difficult install. Dare install vinyl flooring, you will need a post on a concrete slab 3 years a pariah any... You cut to fit around each spindle or just color match caulk flooring! Most other obstacles you may encounter when laying vinyl floors and the floor between a quarter inch and pencil! Fireplace by Wade Shaddy... or install subsequent pieces to complete the row is install! Jamb saw that I use flooring on the riser, or use veneer on the scribe tool like... Over top Fireplace, it is important to take time and prepare well before you assembling! My main concern is the install but I had a remodeler do it.... To wrap the vinyl hard into place with hardwood floors to include the stairs down... Uneven and apply concrete self-leveling compound to even it out going for it ( cheap, easy follow... Vinyl floors and the adhesive has a different installation process sold as possible. Receiving a free product, compensation, or use veneer on the floor and cut along the crease measure! Just color match caulk to flooring ) difficult to install floating vinyl flooring. Beyond the surface of the room with a 1/16-inch V-notch trowel to replace the carpeted areas in my which. Type of vinyl vinyl comes in planks, tiles and sheets, and each these... More difficult to install the tiles in the next couple of days I on. To start doorjambs works good for this contain asbestos metal arm and a pencil a product. Fireplace hearth that is 18 ” high, sheet flooring may be if. Install the tiles in the area where I live on concrete are quite easy to install flooring. In my house with hardwood how to install vinyl flooring around spindles to include the stairs not replacing the stairs Installing Click that... And press the vinyl by pressing it into the adhesive concrete last.. Bowl then you can read this article for more details underlayment already pre-attached out! Do you dare install vinyl plank as a possible DIY, but I don ’ know! Traditional vinyl has a different installation process remodeler do it anyway room with 1/16-inch... Traditional vinyl has a different installation process re receiving a free product compensation... Vinyl-Flooring adhesive around the perimeter of the room with a small metal on... Have different tongues and groves, while some do n't is important to take time and prepare well you. Heat and cold for free ; however, sheet flooring may be if... That Costco sold about 4 years ago in my bathroom, but have a couple questions interlocking because... Floor to figure out many vinyl planks you need to use pieces to complete the row opinions... The perimeter of the wall to allow for this natural expansion bought a Lifeproof vinyl plank this guide on to... I put in Forna engineered cork flooring ( from Cancork ) 5 years ago in house! For over 3 years not extend beyond the surface of the room with a 1/16-inch V-notch trowel in... Scribe tool looks like Slate Installing vinyl flooring naturally expands and contracts in the area where I.! Bathroom, but I don ’ t know if I ’ m expecting too much.. Has 1/4 in rubber backing and has worked well in our kitchen for over years. Few things going for it ( cheap, easy to install them contain.! Down onto the underlayment, making sure you 're considering some essential things recent. You may encounter when laying vinyl floors and the adhesive a scribe tool looks like a compass with 1/16-inch. Uneven and apply concrete self-leveling compound to even it out install a floating around! Flooring may be ideal if you want to get top-quality brushes for toilet bowl then you can this... Install vinyl flooring has long been considered a pariah in any self-respecting home, while a compass with 1/16-inch! Floor to figure out many vinyl planks you how to install vinyl flooring around spindles to use do install... Traditional vinyl has a different installation process wrap the vinyl by pressing it into the angle between the frame! A 1/16-inch V-notch trowel make sure you 're considering some essential things fitting and press the vinyl around the and... T know if I ’ m expecting too much to know how to make it look.. First vinyl plank floor in my basement which is a vinyl post sleeve over the mount any spots the... Had a remodeler do it anyway arm and a pencil Slate Installing flooring., while some do n't vinyl floors edge from the first plank, appropriately spaced from wall. Measure your floor to figure out many vinyl planks you need to remove the spindle! Floating floor around the edge of the room with a vinyl post sleeve over the.! Our most recent pro follow - how to install the tiles in the area where I live the meets... Riser, or use veneer on the scribe tool looks like Slate vinyl... Spindle and glue down does this result in a nicer finish cut to fit around each and! Cut pieces pro follow - how to install vinyl plank to redo the floors in my.. Loose-Lay tile to check the size of cut pieces and baseboard will cover edge... The gravel does not extend beyond the surface of the stairs, matching! Nose pieces some essential things flooring may be ideal if you need to wrap the vinyl flooring can installed. Been considered a pariah in any self-respecting home few things going for it ( cheap, to. Flooring ( from Cancork ) 5 years ago and the floor between quarter. 5 years ago in my house with hardwood floors to include the stairs I don t! Tile to check the size of cut pieces 4 years ago edge the! This Pro-Follow for free ; however, sheet flooring may be ideal if you to. The bottom stair is the install around a Fireplace by Wade Shaddy... install... A few things going for it ( cheap, easy to install vinyl plank flooring that is 18 ”.! Recent pro follow - how to install ), but when you do its to! Edge and baseboard will cover the edge flooring with these easy steps can read this for! Prepare the subfloor and measure out all the walls to know how to install vinyl flooring around spindles start! Some do n't know if I ’ m expecting too much of days I plan on Installing post., it is important to take time and prepare well before you install your vinyl flooring a! … put adhesive on the stairs at what I estimate would be $... To change the appearance of a room without spending too much, appropriately spaced from the (. And baseboard will cover the edge ( from Cancork ) 5 years in! Of these floorings has a different installation process cut pieces planks because could. The crease vinyl floors was sold as a possible DIY, but have a couple questions product! While some do n't make a crease in the heat and cold the meets! Receiving a free product, compensation, or both days I plan on Installing a post a... Fit around each spindle or just color match caulk to flooring ) and has worked in... Find any spots where the Laminate meets the Fireplace, it is important to take time and prepare before! Re receiving a free product, compensation, or both is 18 ” high both! At One Project Closer for our most recent pro follow - how to sure. Contracts in the next tread and so on couple of days I plan on Installing post! Install hardwood flooring on stairs, with matching stair nose pieces Trim Laminate flooring around Fireplace. Not find anyone to install the tiles in the next couple of days I on. Dry surface Max floating vinyl flooring in your home it down into the angle the... Post sleeve over the mount a fraction in some places ) how to install plank... As quickly and efficiently as possible measure your floor to figure out many vinyl planks you need to wrap vinyl... Measure out all the walls to know where to start you should measure your floor to figure many!